The Gielas building offers it's own fireside lounge, bar and a la carte restaurant. The whole property enjoys a peaceful setting, just 250m from the village centre and a few steps to the cross-country ski tracks.
The Tunturi main building, with the main reception and restaurant, is a wonderfully atmospheric hotel with cosy wood-panelled public areas and good food. Tunturi Hotel is only 100m from the Gielas and the ski bus stops outside.
- In a peaceful setting 250m from the village centre.
- The hotel is situated next to the cross-country ski tracks start
- The ski bus stops outside
- Gielas Hotel guests have an extensive hot and cold buffet breakfast in the Gielas wing
- Good 3 course buffet dinner with choice of 3 main courses (including vegetarian option), choice of 2 desserts, soup, and a salad buffet.
- All evening meals are served in the Hotel Tunturi's main building, approx. 100m (3 star property) from the Gielas building.
- Any specific dietary requirements should be notified at time of booking.
All rooms are located in the Gielas Wing of the Hotel Tunturi, approx. 100m from the main building.
All of the deluxe Gielas Hotel rooms have a balcony, free Wi-Fi, drying closest, safe, bath, sauna, shower, WC, flat screen TV (pay movies), telephone, mini bar, tea and coffee making facilities, fridge and a hair dryer. Gielas Hotel guests have breakfast in their own hotel but take dinner in the main building of Tunturi Hotel.
- Superior Twin Room (C4), sleeping 2-4 people. Having twin beds, and 2 single sofa beds for 3-4 person occupancy
- Junior Suite (D4), sleeping 2-4 people, having the same facilities as detailed above
- Single Superior Room (E1) is sole occupancy of the twin room (C4) therefore features all the same facilities
- 3 Restaurants (in main Hotel Tunturi building)
- Fireside bar
- Pub in main Hotel Tunturi building
- Lappish Kota
- Music and dancing most nights in the main building
- Massage (pay locally)
- Ski waxing room
- Guest PC and WI-FI (Free) in Lobby lounge
- Free WI-FI in all hotel rooms and suites
Frontier atmosphere and Sámi heritage in our most northerly resort
At a glance
- Good chance of seeing Northern Lights
- Superb for cross-country skiing
Located in the wild mystical north of Lapland, close to Russia and just a few hours from the Arctic Ocean, Saariselkä is an exceptionally friendly uncommercialised resort with a unique frontier atmosphere.
With magnificent Arctic wilderness scenery just on the doorstep, it makes an ideal resort for an all-round winter wonderland adventure.
The skies are often a deep hue of pink and purple, the pine trees heavily laden with snow, and being so far north there is a good possibility of seeing the Northern Lights too. Here you are deep in Sámi country, the colourful native people of Lapland, many of whom work in the resort and have their own reindeer herds in forests nearby. Saariselkä is renowned for its excellent cross-country ski trails in the adjoining national park.
Skiing in Saariselka
Beginner skiing in Saariselka
Great resort for learning to ski with easy slopes and friendly English speaking instructors.
Prebookable Learn to Ski and Snowboard weeks are available for complete beginners from only £232pp. This includes:
- 7 days lift pass
- 7 days 'Blue' ski/board & boot hire
- 5 days tuition (1½ hrs per day)
Intermediate skiing in Saariselka
This compact ski area offers uncrowded pistes with hardly any queues. Suits early intermediates.
Advanced skiing in Saariselka
Limited challenges with one black run but the snow is often very light between the trees.
Snowboarding in Saariselka
Good half-pipe and some good quality powder between the pistes.
Cross-country in Saariselka
A cross-country enthusiast's paradise with mile after mile of well-marked trails through scenic Arctic wilderness. Several are lit at night.
Learn to Cross Country Packs from £117 which include:
- 7 days 'Blue' ski/board & boot hire
- 3 days tuition (100 minutes per day)
Excursion and Activity Information
Free Leisure Options:
- FREE entrance to pool and sauna complex for hotel guests
(Available to pre-book, contact our Travel Advisers for more details)
Northern Lights Wilderness Dinner
3 hour evening excursion
A scenic 12km drive by minibus to a wilderness hut where guests will enjoy a delicious dinner of charcoal grilled salmon, pancakes for dessert and coffee or tea. Your hosts will tell you stories about the Northern Lights and provide information about aurora forecasting. The hut is ideally located for the best views of the Northern Lights if they should luckily appear.
Prices from: Adult: £65 Child: £35
Husky Safaris 2½ hour excursion
1½ hours at farm and on safari
A scenic 20 minute drive to a beautifully located husky farm. Enjoy a thrilling sled ride followed by a fireside hot drink and talk about husky life in a Kota hut in this perfect wilderness setting. 2 adults plus 1-2 kids per sled driven by the guests themselves.
Prices from: Husky Farm Visit with 5km safari Adult: £79 Child £49
Reindeer Safari & Farm Visit
** 2 hour excursion (1½ hours at farm)**
15 minute drive to a local Sámi reindeer farm. Meet the reindeer, learn the secret of suopunki (Sámi lasso), hear about reindeer life and take a short scenic sleigh ride. Afterwards enjoy a fireside hot drink and cake in a warm cabin served by your Sámi hosts.
Prices from: Reindeer farm visit & short safari Adult: £49 Child: £35
2 hour excursion (starts from resort)
An exhilarating 25km ride through breathtaking arctic scenery. Choose locally between taking this safari as a family daytime trip or a faster evening adult trip "In Search of the Northern Lights". A selection of longer snowmobile safaris is available locally. Small children under 7yrs may be towed in a sled behind guide.
- Single Rider (1 adult alone) Adult: £95
- Double (2 sharing) Adult: £69 Child: £29
Snowshoe Safari 2 hour excursion
(daytime or evening)
A guided snowshoe safari into a silent snowy wilderness. Decide locally on arrival if you prefer a daytime trip or an evening safari searching for the Northern Lights with interesting stories about the Northern Lights and information about aurora forecasting.
Prices from: Adult: £45 Child (7-14yrs) : £25
Sámi Museum and Inari Village
5 hour excursion (operates with minimum 6 guests)
A wonderful scenic one hour drive through an amazing landscape, to the village of Inari on the shores of this huge sacred lake where the Sámi have fished and hunted for centuries. Learn about the fascinating history and culture of Lapland’s colourful indigenous people at the excellent Siida Museum, and visit their silver smiths and handicraft shops in the village.
Prices from: Adult: £59 Child: £55
Nellim and Russian Border Patsjoki Bridge
5-6 hour excursion (operates with minimum 4 guests)
A scenic 1½ hour drive each way across snowy rolling hills with far-reaching views of the taiga snow forests of Russia. Enjoy a soup lunch at the Nellim Wilderness Hotel and hear about the history of the Skolt Sámi who were relocated here from Russia. Visit Nellim village’s Russian Orthodox church and the Patsjoki river bridge on the tiny isolated Russian border crossing.
Prices from: Adult: £99 Child: £49
Stay overnight in a Glass Igloo
A unique and memorable night in a thermal glass igloo is the perfect way to have the best opportunity of seeing the Northern Lights from the comfort of your bed.
Kakslauttanen Igloo Overnight Stay
- Kakslauttanen Igloo Village is located 15km from Saariselkä, well away from any light pollution.
- Transfers from your Saariselka accommodation, an evening excursion (see below), an evening sauna (5-10pm), breakfast and a good 3-course dinner are all included in our prices.
Please call for details.
Stay overnight in a glass-roof windowed Aurora Cabin
Spend a memorable night in an Aurora Cabin, which have north-facing roof window above the bed, making them perfect for star gazing an Northern Light spotting.
Aurora Cabin Overnight Stay
- Located in the centre of Saariselkä, approx. 5-10 minutes walk from the accommodation.
- A continental breakfast is included in our prices and an optional dinner at the cabin location's restaurant may be pre-booked.
Please call for details
Bookable locally with your tour operator representative
- Northern Lights unlit 2km footpath and Kota warming hut
- Tankavaara gold-panning and museum
- Excursion to visit the Siida Sámi museum in Inari
- Kakslauttanen thermal glass igloo overnight stay
- Aurora hunting by minibus with Lappish dinner in wilderness kota
- Snowshoe guided walk (daytime or evening for Northern Lights)
- Husky, reindeer and snowmobile safaris (daytime or evening in search of the Northern Lights)
- Ice fishing trips
- Evening Northern Lights Photography tours
- Bowling alley
- 1km toboggan run
- 2km Northern Lights walking trail and Kammi hut
- Lappish Kammi meal night
- Downhill and cross-country skiing
- Longer Snowmobiling trips also available locally.