An excellent choice of well-equipped, modern, high-quality log cabins of 3 or 4 star standard and located 250-950m from the village centre, supermarket and ski bus stop. Newly added last winter are the highly recommended Nilikuru log cabins which are ideally situated in a peaceful yet central village location and are of a particularly high standard.
You may also be interested in our other Lapland Log Cabin Break at the Yllas Log Cabins from £399pp
Saariselka Log Cabins
- All cabins are situated within 250-950m of the village centre, supermarket and ski bus stop.
3-room+mezz Nilikuru cabin (D6) 63m² + 11m² mezzanine - sleeps 2-6 (4.5 star rating)
- 2 twin bedrooms
- Mezzanine with 2nd living area and 2 beds in alcove
- Nilikuru are especially recommended high quality round log cabins in a peaceful location 250m from village centre
3-room cabin (E4) 75m² - sleeps 2-4 (4 star rating)
- 2 twin bedrooms
- Located in a scenic area on Kaunispää fell 900m from village centre
All Cabins (sizes are approximate) have Shower, WC, Sauna, TV, CD/Radio, Fireplace (except in Type F3 2-room cabins), Oven, Microwave, Fridge, Kettle or Coffee maker, Toaster, Dishwasher. Mezzanine beds may be mattress beds.
Linen, towels and and end of stay cleaning are included.
- Optional supplement for half board taken at Holiday Club Hotel located 250-950m away.
- Free dinner with Santa and his reindeer for all guests staying 8, 15, 22, 25 December 2018 - last night of stay including traditional Christmas dinner with roast turkey and all the trimmings, party games and disco, and opportunity for children to meet Santa individually and receive a small gift and certificate
At a glance
- Snow-sure from November to May
- Good chance of seeing Northern Lights
- Superb for cross-country skiing
Located in the wild mystical north of Lapland, close to Russia and just a few hours from the Arctic Ocean, Saariselkä is an exceptionally friendly uncommercialised resort with a unique frontier atmosphere.
With magnificent Arctic wilderness scenery just on the doorstep, it makes an ideal resort for an all-round winter wonderland adventure.
The skies are often a deep hue of pink and purple, the pine trees heavily laden with snow, and being so far north there is a good possibility of seeing the Northern Lights too. Here you are deep in Sámi country, the colourful native people of Lapland, many of whom work in the resort and have their own reindeer herds in forests nearby. Saariselkä is renowned for its excellent cross-country ski trails in the adjoining national park. For a really memorable experience sleep under the magical night sky in a cosy thermal glass igloo.
Skiing in Saariselka
- Special Offer Lift Passes for when pre-booking in the UK for the following 2018/19 dates: 2-15 Dec & 6 Jan-16 Feb incl.
- Up to 40% off Ski & Boot Hire when pre-booking (already deducted in prices). 7 days for the price of 4 days.
- Free Day Lift Pass & Equipment Hire for guests pre-booking 6 days lift pass and/or equipment hire receive 7th day Free issued in resort.
- Children Under 6yrs Ski Free and receive Free equipment hire if wearing Free rental helmet and accompanied by an adult.
Beginner skiing in Saariselka
Great resort for learning to ski with easy slopes and friendly English speaking instructors.
Prebookable Learn to Ski and Snowboard weeks are available for complete beginners from only £232pp. This includes:
- 7 days lift pass
- 7 days 'Blue' ski/board & boot hire
- 5 days tuition (1½ hrs per day)
Intermediate skiing in Saariselka
This compact ski area offers uncrowded pistes with hardly any queues. Suits early intermediates.
Advanced skiing in Saariselka
Limited challenges with one black run but the snow is often very light between the trees.
Snowboarding in Saariselka
Good half-pipe and some good quality powder between the pistes.
Cross-country in Saariselka
A cross-country enthusiast's paradise with mile after mile of well-marked trails through scenic Arctic wilderness. Several are lit at night.
Saariselkä has long been one of the most famous and best-loved cross-country ski areas in Finnish Lapland. It offers 230kms of prepared trails for both classic and skating styles of skiing, 34kms of which are illuminated.
Learn to Cross Country Packs from £117 which include:
- 7 days 'Blue' ski/board & boot hire
- 3 days tuition (100 minutes per day)
- Swimming pool complex at Holiday Club Hotel (free for Holiday Club Hotel guests and a special price of €10 Adult / €5 Child payable locally for non-hotel guests)
- Northern Lights unlit 2km footpath and Kota warming hut
- Tankavaara gold-panning and museum
- Excursion to visit the Siida Sámi museum in Inari
- Kakslauttanen thermal glass igloo overnight stay
- Aurora hunting by minibus with Lappish dinner in wilderness kota
Snowshoe guided walk (daytime or evening for Northern Lights)
Husky, reindeer and snowmobile safaris (daytime or evening in search of the Northern Lights)
- Ice fishing trips
- Evening Northern Lights Photography tours
- Bowling alley
- 1km toboggan run
- 2km Northern Lights walking trail and Kammi hut
- Lappish Kammi meal night
- Downhill and cross-country skiing
- Longer Snowmobiling trips also available locally.
Pre-bookable Excursions and Safaris:
Northern Lights Wilderness Dinner, 3 hour evening excursion
A scenic 12km drive by minibus to a wilderness hut where guests will enjoy a delicious dinner of charcoal grilled salmon, pancakes for dessert and coffee or tea. Your hosts will tell you stories about the Northern Lights and provide information about aurora forecasting. The hut is ideally located for the best views of the Northern Lights if they should luckily appear.
Prices from: Adult: £65 Child: £35
Husky Safaris 2½ hour excursion (1½ hours at farm and on safari)
A scenic 20 minute drive to a beautifully located husky farm. Enjoy a thrilling sled ride followed by a fireside hot drink and talk about husky life in a Kota hut in this perfect wilderness setting. 2 adults plus 1-2 kids per sled driven by the guests themselves.
Prices from: Husky Farm Visit with 5km safari Adult: £79 Child £49
Reindeer Safari & Farm Visit 2 hour excursion (1½ hours at farm)
15 minute drive to a local Sámi reindeer farm. Meet the reindeer, learn the secret of suopunki (Sámi lasso), hear about reindeer life and take a short scenic sleigh ride. Afterwards enjoy a fireside hot drink and cake in a warm cabin served by your Sámi hosts.
Prices from: Reindeer farm visit & short safari Adult: £49 Child: £35
Snowmobile Safaris 2 hour excursion (starts from resort)
An exhilarating 25km ride through breathtaking arctic scenery. Choose locally between taking this safari as a family daytime trip or a faster evening adult trip "In Search of the Northern Lights". A selection of longer snowmobile safaris is available locally. Small children under 7yrs may be towed in a sled behind guide. Prices from:
- Single Rider (1 adult alone) Adult: £95
- Double (2 sharing) Adult: £69 Child: £29
Snowshoe Safari 2 hour excursion (daytime or evening)
A guided snowshoe safari into a silent snowy wilderness. Decide locally on arrival if you prefer a daytime trip or an evening safari searching for the Northern Lights with interesting stories about the Northern Lights and information about aurora forecasting.
Prices from: Adult: £45 Child (7-14yrs) : £25
Visit Santa’s Home 3 hour excursion (available 2 Dec - 5 Jan only)
Hidden deep in a magical snowy wonderland with fun activities and a meeting with Santa for every child. Follow elves along a candlelit path to feed and pet Santa’s reindeer. See how Elf Smith sends presents around the world. Cross the bridge over Gold Creek for a meeting and photos with Santa in his cabin. Warm up inside with hot drinks and ginger biscuits.
Prices from: Adult: £69 Child £59
Nellim and Russian Border Patsjoki Bridge 5-6 hour excursion (operates with minimum 4 guests)
A scenic 1½ hour drive each way across snowy rolling hills with far-reaching views of the taiga snow forests of Russia. Enjoy a soup lunch at the Nellim Wilderness Hotel and hear about the history of the Skolt Sámi who were relocated here from Russia. Visit Nellim village’s Russian Orthodox church and the Patsjoki river bridge on the tiny isolated Russian border crossing.
Prices from: Adult: £99 Child: £49
Stay overnight in a Glass Igloo
A unique and memorable night in a thermal glass igloo is the perfect way to have the best opportunity of seeing the Northern Lights from the comfort of your bed.
Please call for details and a quote.